Monday, January 5, 2015

Day 5 - Kumatoes

At first glance, kumatoes look, well, gross.  They are tomatoes, but they are BROWN.  And normally the last thing I want my tomato to be is brown. 

But when summer is over and our garden is no longer providing us with plump, ripe, red tomatoes, I am willing to go out on a limb and experiment to find a good substitute.  And KUMATOES are it! 

Kumato - see, they are odd looking...
They are not cheap - $3.49 for a pack of 5 – but they are a good substitute for the months when all other store bought tomatoes taste like dry cardboard.   I like them best when they are still a bit firm and a mix of green and brown.  I would prefer if I could buy them individually so I could do a little squeeze test on each one, but since it is Trader Joe’s you have to accept whatever is in the pack you choose.  And I must add, every once in a while you will get a “dud” - a yucky one.  But the good far outweigh the bad.

We most often eat these sliced and topped with mozzarella , olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and salt.  That is a simple to make and terrific tasting appetizer or salad course.  Just writing about them now is making my mouth water a bit.

Kumato serving suggestion - sliced and topped with mozzarella cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt
Price - $3.49, which comes out to around .70 cents per fruit


Rating – 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment