Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 89 - Head to Toe Moisturizing Balm

Yeah…  Ummmm…  Not so much…

I think I was a bit mis-lead by the NAME, but my bad for not reading the fine print before purchasing. 

But hey – we were visiting a Trader Joe’s in a city we had never been in, La Jolla, California, and I was excited to see a product I had not seen before!  So don’t be too mad at me for this incorrect purchase.

Here’s the deal – it is NAMED “Head to Toe Moisturizing Balm”.  To me, that meant like a body butter balmy sort of thing that I could use as something similar to LOTION, which I use a ton of.  Sounds perfect, right???

Pretty little tin, no??
But my first clue should have been the size of the TIN…  It is only 2 oz.    How much “head to toe moisturizing” action are you gonna get out of a mere 2 oz?? 

But really, I should have read the fine print.  Right there on the top of the tin, in teeny tiny fancy letters, it says, “This moisturizing balm works wonderfully on chapped lips, dry elbows and knees, heels, over-worked hands and cuticles.   It’s also great for fly-away hair or even fly away beard!”

Don’t get me wrong – I like a good multi-use product.  But a product you can put on your LIPS and also your HAIR seems a bit, welllll, stretching it… 

Not only does the sign say "NEW", it also says "exciting"!!  :)
So I set about TESTING it.

I have tried it on my lips – works fine.

I have tried it on my legs after shaving – it is awkward…  It is a hard balm in a tin, much like some hair goo I have had before and really liked.  It is hard to get OUT of the tin – I had to dig a finger down into the goo and pull a hunk up, then rub it between my palms before applying.  Basically, I was a gooey mess just from trying to moisturize my legs.

I tried it on my hands, but no thanks.   I mean, I USE A BOATLOAD of lotion and hand creams, but this is too gooey to be functional.  You just want to wash your hands after you get it put on, and that sort of defeats the whole purpose of having put it on in the first place, no?

And, just for the sake of this blog, I tried it on my hair.  (Oh the things I do for this blog…)  It worked quite well on my short, spiky doo. 

Not bad as a hair product!
For the record – I do not have a BEARD to try it on so I cannot attest to whether it would be good for “fly away beard” as advertised.

If you want it for a hair product, go for it.  At $3.99 it is cheaper than most.  But if you are buying it expecting to be able to actually use it from HEAD TO TOE like the name says, you are going to be disappointed.

NOTE:  This product review has an ADDENDUM!!  I found someone with an amazing mustache to help me by trying it out!  See his opinion here:  Head to Toe Moisturizing Balm Addendum
Price – $3.99
Rating – 1.5

10 comments:

  1. Great that you tried it on your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I would have tried it on my mustache too if I had one. Have you tried it? I wonder what other people think of it.

      Delete
  2. Wayne uses it on his dried up hands with all the cracks, and it works great for that - helps heal up those painful cracks, so now he's a convert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad Wayne for a use for this stuff!!! Do you live in the DC metro area? Cuz he can have what is left in my tin. I would happily share it with him :). Let me know! If you are nearby I will even DELIVER it! I would love for it to get used.

      Susan

      Delete
  3. It does take a bit getting used to, but I love it. It truly does sink in, given the chance (so many claim it's too greasy). What helps in getting it out of the container is keeping it in the steamy bathroom while showering! It's much easier to run your finger around the edges to get a decent amount out when it's a bit softened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Basically, I was a gooey mess just from trying to moisturize my legs"

    You seem to be one of those people, seen on an info commercial that is struggling with an old product.

    I can say that this product works great on everything from head to toe. No it is not a lotion, its a moisturiser balm! I will say a little goes along way and my entire family uses this product and we recommend it to everyone we know. Great for dried skin, burns, and hair. Makes your skin very soft, it will turn farm hands into baby skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review is kinda crap, sorry to say. The word BALM is huge, and yes, the size of the tin should have been an obvious clue. This is a GREAT product. The reviewer herself asked people not to be mad at her for an incorrect purchase, why would anyone? But this incorrect review? Yes, absolutely. Can't even believe she tried to put it on her entire legs, SMH. It is also not hard to get out of the tin. I'm truly confused by this whole review. I just slathered it all over my hands and went right back to typing. I get we are all entitled to our opinions, but this review was not fair to the product AS IT IS INTENDED TO BE USED. You should have admitted your own MISUNDERSTANDING (which you did) but then used it and reviewed for the purposes it is intended (which you did not). TJ's rarely misfires as badly as you are leading people to believe here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this product. I take a small amount. Like a very small amount, rub it in my hair, then rub what's left on my beard, and the rub what's left on the back of my hands. Keeps hair and beard hairs pointing in the right direction.

    I would never type after putting it on though. This stuff is pretty greasy. You can rub it in more, but I would wash my hands or rub them on a towel before typing. I can see why she wrote what she wrote in her review. This product is not for everyone, and doesn't need to be. But it get very dry skin and it is useful for soothing it.

    ReplyDelete