Saturday, March 28, 2015

Day 87 - Spanish Cheese Tapas Sampler

We first saw this adorable little package in a Trader Joe’s in California and we were so jealous!  “What??  Sweet little cheeses??  Why, we do not have THAT in the metro DC area!!” we whined.

How wrong we were!  We do INDEED have the Spanish Cheese Tapas Sampler at our local Trader Joe’s.  It is a package of 3 perfectly sized (5.29 oz total) little chunks of cheese – Iberico, Cabra Al Vino, and Manchego cheeses to be precise. 

Delightful concept, bland result
The only problem ISSSS, see, the cheese do not have much FLAVOR…  So, while they are delightful to look at and seem like they would be so quaint to serve to guests with some of those funky little ceramic cheese labels, I would prefer they actually TASTE good, too…  See where I am going with this?  They are just b-l-a-n-d.   Maybe they are SUPPOSED to be that way, I am no Spanish cheese expert!  But, for my taste, they do not have enough taste (see how clever that was?  I used “taste” twice there!).

In the end, I guess I would rather do the hard work myself and buy three separate cheeses that each had a little zip or zing to them and forego the simplicity of this little (bland) package. 

P.S. - Embarrassing postscript to this review:  It was not until after I had written this and we has almost finished all of these cheeses that we realized, oops, each cute little wedge is already SLICED!  We had been cutting bits off unnecessarily - the cutting is done for you (not in the direction we normally slice cheese, which is why we did not notice I guess).  

Price – $3.99

Rating – 3

1 comment:

  1. They're bland as they are meant to be eaten with iberico ham or serrano ham. I do also like that they don't over power white wine for an app...

    ReplyDelete