Sunday, December 6, 2015

Day 340 - Autumnal Harvest Pasta Sauce

First of all, I am so excited because TODAY I get to meet one of the readers of this blog!!!! TTrockwood often comments on posts, and because we are going to New York City (where TTrockwood lives) we arranged a MEET UP!  Guess where???  :)  Duh - AT A TRADER JOE'S, of course!  I will report on our meeting soon!

In the meantime, here is a review of Autumnal Harvest Pasta Sauce.

Look - it is tomato based but made with PUMPKIN and BUTTERNUT SQUASH!
David: “It’s ok.  it is like general tomato sauce but more squash-y.  It gives some flavor to the pasta, but pretty much you gotta like the taste of PASTA cuz there’s not a lotta taste in it.  I give it a 3.5.”

Editor’s note:  I suspect someone is cranky.  Look – he barely said anything!  He is rarely this quiet or downbeat about a food item. 

Here is David at a happier moment - talking with the ASK ME MAN at Clarendon Trader Joe's!  There was a super long line and he was standing at the end of it to show people where to go.  Doesn't he look kind?  He was.  :)
Me:  I like this pasta sauce.  It is light and CREAMY.  To me it is not too tomato-y. I don’t really taste the squash in it, but I like that it lets the flavor of the pasta to come through. 

It is also a pretty color.  It is not as red as some tomato sauces.  I think this is really nice.  It is not too heavy.  It is not overpowering.  We served it on tubular pasta shapes and it was a good fit.  It is clean and simple.  To me, the name is right because somehow it does taste a bit like AUTUMN (if seasons can have a flavor…).   (David disagreed that it tastes like autumn, but see note above.  Can you say “cranky-pants”???)

See, isn't it a pretty color??  Served with baby brocolli and a salad.
David OD-ed on tomato sauce last month when he made an eggplant parmesan and stuffed it with tooooo much tomato sauce.  Ever since then he has been ardently anti tomato sauce.  But even HE agreed that this Autumnal Harvest Pasta Sauce is not TOO tomato-y.  I think this is a good alternative to “traditional” pasta sauces.

This is, as the name suggests, only available seasonally.  So if you want to taste autumn poured over a plate of pasta, get some soon.

Find it on the shelf with the other pasta sauces.
I give this one a 4.  I will average our two scores together below.

Price – $3.49

Rating - 3.75

No comments:

Post a Comment