Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 310 - 313. All Natural BBQ Smoky Sweet (With Just the Right Amount of Kick)

David likes BBQ.  David likes pork.  These two things are not normally my favorites (with the exception of bacon, which is a pork product that I adore so much that I dressed like it for Halloween).  So for this review, David cooked a pork loin in the crock pot with this BBQ sauce for around 6 hours.

Here's the bottle.
As for me, I liked this better than I like most BBQ sauce.  Normally I only like spicy BBQ sauces.  This is not spicy.  I didn’t expect to like it.  I didn’t want to tell David I didn’t want to have it, because he doesn’t get BBQ very often since I am not a big fan, so I took one for the team.  But I was surprised at how “not bad” it was.  I even dipped some Trader Joe’s tots in it ( review here) and it was pretty good.

See - served with TOTS!  And green peas.
Here are David’s musings on this sauce:  “This is a little sweeter than I like… A little more tomatoe-y than I would like.  I probably would like a little bit more vinegar-y-ness and tart 'smack ya in the faceness' about it.  The flavors do not “stick out” as much as I would like.  It’s a little bit 'smushie'."

We used to live in Kansas City, a place where people go nuts for BBQ.  I think in any city where they “do BBQ” they claim theirs is the be all, end all.  I never really got on the BBQ bandwagon I guess.

Here is our BBQ lover, who ended up being "alright" with this sauce but not over the moon about it.
In this TJ’s sauce, the first ingredient listed is TOMATO PUREE, so David’s opinion of it tasting too “tomato-y” makes sense.   But really, all in all, we agree that this is not a bad BBQ. 

And there you have it.

Price – $2.49

Rating – 3.5

1 comment: