Monday, October 12, 2015

Day 285 - Pumpkin Body Butter

I was not going to buy this.  One of the premises of this blog is that I would not buy anything that I anticipated before even trying it I would dislike it – that does not seem fair to the ratings to go into with a negative attitude.  But I was curious about this body butter…  I love lotion – I use it every single day.  And I really like body butters (oh man, the unscented generic one from Sephora is amaaaazing and David often gets me a tub of it for Christmas!).  So I wondered about this Trader Joe’s one, but I was afraid I would not like the scent.

Look, it is LUXURIOUS, it says so right on the label!!!
One night recently when I was checking out at Trader Joe’s I asked my checker if he has tried this product yet.  He had a stack of them sitting at his register.  He said he hadn’t tried it (secretly I was hoping he would say, “Should we open one up and give it a whiff??” but he didn’t).  But then I overheard the cashier right behind me offering some to HIS customer to try!  Well, you don’t have to ask me twice (technically, no one had asked me once, but go with it…)!!  I turned around and inserted myself into their conversation and grabbed a blob of the body butter to rub on my hands.

Of COURSE it is a "Flyer Item" - it is OCTOBER!  Every pumpkin product is a flyer item this month.  :)
It was nice!  The texture seemed good and the smell was not overpowering (as I had feared it might be).   It seemed to smell more like AUTUMN, more like SPICE, than stinking like a PUMPKIN PIE.  It was nice.  I thought maybe I had previously just had a bad attitude toward pumpkin scented things and I should get with the program. 

In store selfie...  I was a little bit nervous about this product...
I would have picked up a tub of it then and there but my cashier was done ringing me up and had everything bagged so I finished up and left.  But the next time I went into a TJ’s I got a tub of the Pumpkin Body Butter.  I was still NERVOUS, mind you, but the little sample on my hands had gone well enough that I thought a tub might be just the thing for the autumn weather.

That charge of $4.99 for this product will soon be a refund…

I put this body butter on today after my shower.  I mean – I PUT.  IT.  ON.  Everywhere.  All over my whole body.  It is sticky going on.  Once it was all on and rubbed in it was not too sticky, however…

I SMELL LIKE A CANDLE.  I smell like a rust colored pillar candle in the middle of a harvest centerpiece on the Thanksgiving table.  David said, “You are bloody AUTUMNAL is what you are!!”.

If you like smelling like a human sized pumpkin pie this is the body butter for you.
I don’t really smell so much like – well – I smell more like a PIE than I would like.  I am not the sort of person who likes fragrances that smell like FOOD.  Case in point, you will not see BIRTHDAY CAKE scented lotion in my cupboard (even though I really like one manufacturer who mistakenly (IMHO) makes that scent…).  That is disgusting!  If I want to eat a birthday cake I will EAT A BIRTHDAY CAKE.  I don’t want my ARM to smell like a birthday cake!!!

So, to wrap this up, this body butter goes on sticky.  After you get it on the texture is okay.  And the scent is good IIIIFFF you want to walk around smelling like a big pumpkin pie (or centerpiece candle).  If you do not want to smell like a pumpkin pie, just use some from a sample jar one time on your hands when you are at Trader Joe’s.  Trust me.  Learn from my mistake.

I have to give them points for the lid.  It's quite ingenious.
Because this is not sticky after you get it on, and because some people actually want to smell like walking desserts, I do not feel I can give this product a zero score (even though I am going to return it and ask for my money back).  I mean, some people might LIKE this…  It is not HORRIBLE.  It did not make me throw up and I did not jump in the shower and wash it all off.  Oh, it also has a really cool lid , you can either unscrew it like a traditional body butter lid or you can pop the middle of the top off. 

Because of those positive, I will not give it this product a zero.  J

P.S. – lest you think I hate all things pumpkin, make sure to read tomorrow’s review of MINI PUMPKIN PIES!

Price - $4.99

Rating - 2

4 comments:

  1. GULP - it is November 8 and tonight we saw POMEGRANATE BODY BUTTER at Trader Joe's. I like pomegranates... I love lotion/body butter... But is this one the same texture as the Pumpkin Body Butter with a different scent, or is it a different formulation?? I am nervous to try it but feel like I SHOULD... What say you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you used too much at once. I bought it yesterday because I've really been wanting to try it and I finally saw it on the shelf. I prefer using a light touch with my lotions and it went on really well, with no stickiness whatsoever, with that light touch. I didn't think it smelled too overwhelming either. My boyfriend did smell it more than I did but only when close and he didn't get a headache from it (which he often does from scents). I'm giving this a 4 over on their site. Honestly, I'd love to have this same formula with no scent at all. And I like the ingredients list too... I make my own body butter, so I look at ingredients. I don't like most of their body butters but this one met my approval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the pumpkin one still have the great lid that you do not need to unscrew?? I thought that was cool.

      I agree with you - if they had this same formula without a scent I would stock up on it!

      And I am looking forward to POMEGRANATE BODY BUTTER SEASON soon! I was scared to try it (after disliking this pumpkin one...) but I loved it! Rated it a 4.75 on the blog:
      http://traderjoes365.blogspot.com/2015/12/day-335-pomegranate-body-butter.html

      Delete
  3. Yes, it does have the same lid on it. I've seen that same lid on the lavender salt scrub and I really like that. Maybe give it another try, only use it sparingly instead of slathering it on? And I'll have to check out the Pomegranate body butter. It seems like I smelled it in the jar last year and I was put off, or maybe it was something in the ingredients... I'll give it another go though. :)

    ReplyDelete