Sunday, September 10, 2017

Mango and Sticky Rice Spring Rolls

I believe I have a new favorite dessert.  Oh man these Mango and Sticky Rice Spring Rolls are GOOOOOD!  (Note:  for the rest of this review I will call these things Sticky Rice and MANGO, not Mango and STICKY RICE.  Cuz even though the box lists the mango first, in my mind this food is always sticky rice first...)

This is the box.  Go to Trader Joe's.  Find it in the freezer section.  Get one.  NO - get two!!
Sticky rice and mango is my go-to dessert when we eat in Thai restaurants.  Trust me, I always check the menu to see if they have it before we even order our meals.  To me, it is the perfect dessert.

So, when I saw this box of Sticky Rice and Mango Spring Rolls in the freezer section at Trader Joe’s, let’s just say I got a wee bit excited.  And my excitement was correct – these rock.

Get.  Out!!!  Mango and Sticky Rice SPRING ROLLS???  
I cooked them by frying them in 2 Tablespoons of oil, which is one of the 2 cooking techniques listed on the box.  I thought if we were having spring rolls, I wanted them to be nice and crispy, so it was worth stinking up the house a little bit with oil frying.  I kept them in the oil (stove on medium) for about 5 minutes and kind of obsessively turned them over each minute (cuz, see above, I was excited).

When they were browned and had rested on my plate for one minute, I dug in.  And let me tell you – these are perfect.  They are an amazing combination of spring roll savory-ness and sticky rice and mango deliciousness.  They are not really sweet, only slightly sweet.  The crispiness of the spring roll is in perfect contrast to the stickiness of the rice.  There is not a ton of mango in them, but there is enough to make your mouth super happy.

Here is what they looked like after being cooked.  My mouth is watering just looking at the photo...
They are just so good!!!  For me, these would make an amazing breakfast (don’t judge, you granola and yogurt eaters).   Be sure to eat them warm – they will make your belly sing.

I will definitely buy these again.  I fear they will be short lived at Trader Joe’s, they seem like quite a niche item.  But they are right in my niche, baby!!!  I give these a solid 5 star rating.

Here is what my sweetheart thought after he had a couple of bites, “Very nice.  I love the crispy exterior of the spring roll and the way it plays off of the chewy sticky rice inside.  The mango gives it just the right amount of flavor.  I am not sure quite where to place this – whether it is a dessert or a main food item…  Maybe it is a side dish?  Perhaps an appetizer?  Anyway, I am gonna give these a 4.75.”

Well, since this is my blog and my score should count a bit more than David’s, I am giving this product a final rating of a 5!!  Cuz that’s how I roll.

New product!  Please keep this TJ's...  Don't flake out on me and call these "seasonal" please.
Price: $2.99 (shhh, please don’t tell Trader Joe’s, but I for one would pay more for these suckers!)

Rating:  5

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog and get excited when I see you've posted a new review, and I've discovered some new favorites thanks to you. However, I couldn't have had a more different experience with these spring rolls! I couldn't wait to try them - I love ordering mango sticky rice for dessert at Thai restaurants - but these didn't taste at all like that to me. I tried preparing them in a frying pan with a little oil and also tried them heated in the toaster oven. Both ways I found the wrapper tough, the coconut flavor nonexistent, the rice mushy, and there was barely any mango. This is not sweet, either, which I was expecting.

    Sorry to make my first comment on your happy, positive blog such a downer. I was just so surprised you loved these so much (but I'll keep on reading, of course! Your blog makes me smile!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for sharing your experience with these spring rolls!! Seriously, I am glad that you took the time to write. I still haven't tried them in a toaster oven - I wondered how different the texture would be cooking them that way...

      Sorry they aren't your cup of tea. And sorry I led you astray with this one! :)

      Susan

      Delete
  2. I only purchased 1 box before they went bye bye...boo hoo! They were to die for! I have dreams about them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Trader Joe's discontinued this item? Can't find them anymore...grrr

    ReplyDelete