Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Day 97 - Chocolate Coconut Macaroons

Oh little macaroons, I was soooo excited when I saw you on the shelf!  I had such high hopes!  Coconut macaroons – always a delicious treat!  Dipped in CHOCOLATE – oh yes!

Don't they look TASTY??  Ahhh - macaroons...  Or ARE they?

But alas, I feel like you duped me.

You are not a macarooon (IMHO) – you are a MOUNDS candy bar.   Your insides are not baked!  There is no delicious baked goodness in you.  Instead, you are a blob of coconut covered in chocolate, which is FINE if that is what the eater is expecting when they bite in.  Like, if the label says “treats that taste like Mounds candy bars”, then we as eaters know what to expect.  But when you call yourself a macaroon, there are certain expectations to be met, and you fall short.

I got these when my partner was out of town, and I decided to wait to write this review until he was home and could try them for himself.  I did not mention my misgivings about them and just offered him one and asked what he thought.  “Well, the chocolate is sorta waxy” was his initial response.  When I explained about the “Mounds vs. Macaroons” thing, he understood where I was coming from.

New product - should be called "Mounds-Like Treats"
These are gluten free and Kosher for Passover – alas, they are NOT macaroons.  But if you want little Mounds bars, get yourself some.

Price – $3.99

Rating - 2

6 comments:

  1. Imagine my disappointment reading this when these are the first macaroons I’ve ever had and thought “THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN MISSING?!” But alas, thank you for letting me know if I pick up any other make of macaroon, they will not be as soft, moist, and marvelous as these 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what a macaroon is supposed to taste like. But these chocolate covered coconut macaroons are amazingly delicious to me. The softness and chocolate taste with just enough but not too much coconut won me over instantly. I will be buying these from now on. From all the chocolate items that I have bought at Trader Joe's over the years, I give them a 10! PS TJ's chocolate ice cream is excellent also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but I could NOT disagree with you more. These are my new favorite sweet treat and they are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom loves these, the bit of orange flavor, but it seems they've not had them in the last 6 months or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like at least a year and a half. I asked about these last year and they just assured me they'd get them this year (2022) with no such luck. :( I've been searching for a dupe recipe at least and no luck either

      Delete