Thursday, March 12, 2015

Day 71 - Boneless Beef Rib Eye Steak

We do not eat a heck of a lot of red meat.  That might be apparent by the fact that this review is posting on day 70 of this project and it is the first time beef has appeared!  (I had to peek back through the reviews to fact check that and I am a little surprised myself!  I certainly didn’t plan it that way.)  We are not vegetarians, and we are not “anti-beef”, we just don’t eat it all that often. 

So when we DO eat it, we want it to be good.  And this wasn’t.  There was far too much fat and not enough TASTE.  The best part about it was the seasoning we put on it and not the actual beef itself.

In general, beef at Trader Joe’s seems limited.  And pricey.  Maybe beef is a money maker for them?  They just don’t have the selection that Safeway, Giant, or other grocery stores do.  And they don’t have the option of opening a package and giving you a smaller portion like Publix will.  And there is no “meat department” with a butcher to wrap up just what you want.

Boneless Beef Rib Eye Steak
Color me disappointed in this steak.  Sure, we will try another one before the year of reviews is up, but for now I will stick to veggies, chicken, and fish.  This steak left a not-so-good taste in my mouth.

Price – $9.49 per lb

Rating – 2.5

1 comment:

  1. Tried Trader Joe's Boneless Ribeye Steak from store in So. Cal. It was vacuumed packed. Looked good. Nice marbling and color. The three week expiration date on fresh meat should have been the tip off. Thought maybe the vacuum seal keeps it fresh longer. I was looking forward to a nice steak dinner off my charcoal grill and the disappointment was starting to set in even before I got it off the grill. Why was the meat turning a bright pinkish-red? I've been cooking meat on gas and charcoal grills for a long time and that made me suspicious. I looked at the packaging to see if it was processed but nothing, just the usual FDA warnings about handling fresh meat. Off the grill and on the table, I sliced into the steak which was cooked medium. No juice, dry as hell and the meat looked colorless like pork. Red on the outside and pink to white on the inside. This meat has been processed with nitrites or sulfites as sure as hell. It was on its way to being pastrami. I'll never buy steak from TJ's again. Served it up to my family for dinner anyway. Never saw so much left over steak. Nobody liked it.

    ReplyDelete